Blemish Balms or Beauty Balms (BB), whatever you want to call them, are the latest buzz product in North America and I am asked about them all the time. First, just a little bit about them. They have been around the beauty industry in Asia via Germany a number of years ago as a skin treatment/protector with the ability to cover and an alternative to heavy foundations.
Skip to now, where Western beauty companies stretched the term BB Cream to their versions. I say versions because they are not quite the same as their Asian counterparts. Not to say they are not fantastic products, but let's call them what they are - a repackaged and re-marketed tinted moisturizer. As aforementioned, true BB Creams are a skin treatment with coverage and the Western versions also "treat" the skin, ish. For instance, most prime, moisturise, cover, and protect. All of which have done in the past/present by tinted moisturisers. With that said, the newest bunch have started to include such ingredients as vitamin c and hyaluronic acid. Making them closer to the Asian versions. Some of the BB Creams on the market include:
- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB- sheer to light coverage, SPF 30, oil free, moisturising, five colours,good for combo skin
- L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB- granular,very sheer radiance, moisturizing, four colours, dry skin
- L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream- SPF 15, two colours, light coverage, normal to dry
- Marcelle BB Cream- sheer to light coverage, moisturising,radiance, two colours, dry skin
- Marcelle Anti-Aging BB Cream- SPF 20, two colours, medium coverage, hydrating, radiance, normal to dry skin (My favourite)
- Garnier BB Cream Skin Renew- light coverage,Vitamin C, moisturizing, two colours, combo skin
- Gosh BB Cream- liquid/runny, sheer to light coverage, moisturizing,four colours, dry skin
- Annabelle BB Cream- SPF 15 medium coverage, moisturising, two colours,normal to dry skin
- Clinique Perfecting BB Cream- light coverage, three colours (very pink), moisturising, radiance, combo skin
- Stila HD 10-in-1 Beauty Balm- one colour, sheer, hydrating, oil free, paraben free, normal to dry.
- Smashbox BB Cream- SPF 35, tacky, light coverage, five colours, dry to combination skin
- Lancome Renergie Eclat Multi-Lift BB Cream- more anti-aging ,poor blendabilty, moisturizing, illuminates, three colours, mature dry skin
- Vichy Pro-Even BB Cream- SPF 20, two colours, moisturising, normal to dry, medium coverage, Vitamin C and E, hyaluronic acid
- Vichy Neovidol BB Cream- one colour, mature skin, dry, anti-aging
This isn't to say that North America doesn't have a BB Cream... it just doesn't call itself that. In Canada, Cover FX is such a product and is put in the category of a Cosmeceutical - cosmetics that heal, protect and treat the skin, thus a traditional Asian BB Cream. It contains vitamins F, A, C and E and was developed at Sunnybrook Hospital for those who had scars, rosacea, and burns. Fantastic company and products. I use them on brides and they photograph beautifully.
I apologise with the length, but as a consumer, especially in the beauty industry, it can be overwhelming. Therefore, clarification, information and suggestions are definitely needed. So, now that we have a clearer understanding of these guys, companies are now introducing the CC cream- colour and correct, or colour and care. They one upped the BB cream. The two I have heard about are from Chanel and Oil of Olay.
Whatever you choose, they are a fabulous alternative to foundation and easy to use. Let me know which BB Cream you like.